Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Still sick

Poor me is still sick

Jo Ern still has fever. The last 3 days were cycles of high temperature, fever medicine, temperature, medicine. Went to the pediatrician this morning (the previous visit was to a GP at the 24-hour medical centre). I learned quite a bit:
.
1. Don't give fever medicine for temperatures below 38C. The body generates this heat to fight off germs.
2. After 2 days, if the germs are not killed off, normally other complications will develop. Jo Ern now has an ear infection, cough and runny nose.
3. No need to panic that fever will cause brain damage. That only happens at 41.5C.
.
Maybe Jo Ern will have recovered by now if we had followed the correct procedure. Ah well, we live and learn.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Jo Ern. Didn't know about the ear infection bit.

    Hmm...the 3 things you listed were also learning points to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean's fever went up to 40 degrees C last week. i didn't know about 41.5 being the danger point..

    hope Jo Ern gets well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MC, I am paranoid that a fever can cause brain damage coz my mum brings up that fact every so often haha. I was so worried about 37.8C already, 40C would have scared me half to death! Glad Sean is fine.

    ReplyDelete