Sunday, June 26, 2022

Food n firefly

One of the things I was looking forward to in Kuala Selangor was seafood.  When we finished the nature park though, it was raining (thankfully after holding it in the whole morning!).  So in the interests of time and convenience and to the delight of the kids, our first lunch in KS was... McDonald's.  No pics of this meal obviously.

Luckily managed to have a seafood dinner at "Grandma Restaurant".  Although apparently Waze thought it would be funny to lead us to the opposite side of the river from where the place actually was, with no way across except by stealing a sampan and rowing ourselves.  

It took a while for our orders to be taken, but after that food arrived fast.  Food was pretty good - ordered lala clams in superior stock, nestum squid and kangkung belacan.  JE liked the drink of lime assam boi.  More so since she'd assumed we would be drinking plain water haha.  Well I don't normally buy into the idea of sugary, over-priced drinks!  Unless it's special and lime assam boi qualifies.

SE liked drawing in her book

After the wrong turns and whatnot, we couldn't make it for the firefly tour I'd booked.  But it was fine, they had a later trip.  

On our way to see some fireflies

Hmm it was boring actually.  I'd gone for this many years back with my parents, that time I remember enjoying the sampan ride in the night air where we were rowed by humans.  THIS trip was by motor boat which isn't fun.  There were plenty of twinkling fireflies in the trees by the river.  We drifted along for 10 mins then headed back. RM90 for this - RM25 for adults, RM20 kids.  Oh well, at least the kids had tried this now.  We went to a nearby Speedmart for drinks and snacks before heading back to our accommodation half an hour away.  Smooth end to our first day at KS!

The next day lunch we made our way to Grandma Restaurant again (totally patting myself on the back for the smooth drive this time) only to have the operator inform us they were closed for repairs.  Checked out a few places which were only open for dinner.  Finally ended up at this unassuming place called Hong Eng.  The Thai-style squid on crunchy kangkung turned out fabulous!  I would almost purposely come back just for this dish.  The other dishes of salted egg mantis prawn and braised pork with yam were decent.

Hmm quite yummy

6 comments:

  1. Dishes look tasty. My fav is nestum squid & kangkung with squid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nestum squid a bit normal, like salted egg version. The one with kangkung was special.

      Delete
  2. I wanted very much to join a firefly tour but will have to get someone else to accompany me because hubby doesn't like boat tour. Glad you found some nice yummy food and I think I will enjoy the squid with kangkong too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firefly is boring though. Just looks like Christmas tree lights.

      Delete
  3. Wah, so much fun you have with SE and JE having an adventure around Kuala Selangor and having the challenge like a treasure hunt to find a way to the eatery across the river. Safer to sit in a motor boat than a sampan I would think. I have been on a fire fly viewing trip with my colleagues. My spouse didn't want to join us. It was on a motorboat and is something different from sitting at home, hahahahaha. Lolx! 😂 Did you bring your helper on this trip or did you mention she has to be at home to prepare food for your husband? As for the seafood, why no fish? The dishes you ordered sound tasty too. You must be so glad you brought SE and JE for this local vacation. Got many fun memories from it. Well done! Can go for more local cuti cuti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very glad to have braved this trip! Brought my helper along yes. These days hubby is left alone on weekdays at home - waited for him to give the green light, didn't push him.

      Well I like squid more than fish haha. Have to pick and choose since cannot order a lot.

      Delete