Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Car #1

At the same time the ceiling board crashed down, my 17yo car decided to spring a leak.  Of all the no-good times... sigh.  We were heading out when SE, who was sitting at the back, asked why there was a puddle of water in the car.  I looked back at the next traffic light and GOSH it was a veritable LAKE  with gentle waves!  I hadn't planned on changing this car.  It had been reliable as a spare car when my/hubby's cars had to go into a workshop, and hubby also used it to reserve the parking spot opposite our gate so our neighbour couldn't take it heh.  JE isn't of age to drive yet.  

Following chatGPT's instructions, I tried to find the leak so I could take it to be patched.  An exercise which only succeeded in scaring me that I could be having major problem on my hands.  Later that same day.... I thought why not change this car?  At 17 years, more problems were likely to crop up.  I was getting averse to encountering problems at this point.  And hubby HAD considered upgrading this car some years back (I had replied no need... since I wasn't the one maintaining it!).  So the next day we went to the car showroom.  :)
 
Fortunately there was a 16k rebate on this model going on while waiting for the facelift one.  

Processing took a few weeks.  Two 2nd-hand dealers came to look at the car.  The car had to be sent for inspection.  I kept praying it wouldn't rain while all this was going on!  This car became a precious princess which had to be parked under shelter.  Once it rained unexpectedly and I ran out to drive this car in.  Requested my maid to dry the car out.  My dad recommended using a hair-dryer so the car received blow-dry service.  Finally the deal was struck and the dealer came to take the car.

Goodbye my car

A little sad seeing it leave the house for the last time.  Asked JE to stand beside the car for a photo - found this old post of me carrying baby JE next to this very car (I had cropped the photo and can't find the original).

And now she's a teenager
 

It rained heavily later that evening.  And my thought was, oh no is the car ok?  Both worrying that the dealer would call to complain about a big leak and also... after the weeks of caring for the car, I was genuinely concerned about its welfare!  It had served us well.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand being emotionally attached to a car. Our current car is bought in 2004 so it is 22 years old 😂
    Ya 17 yo so better let it retire to old cars home 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how the water got into your car. Puddle of water at the back seats? So weird 🤔

    ReplyDelete