Thursday, September 29, 2011

Phuket Days 1&2

We’re back from Phuket! Accommodation was at the vacation club purpose-built to attract members into the Mariott programme. Overall it was a good holiday though not 100% a relaxing one.

Day 1

We drove and parked at the LCCT. This was Jo Ern’s first flight and she was as good as gold! She ‘read’ the magazines provided for ages, ate some snacks and played a bit. I expected to get an infant seat belt but nobody offered me any. Heh.  The seat beside me was empty and I plonked Jo Ern there and fastened the normal seat-belt for her.

Mummy, can I order something from here?
Arriving at Phuket airport, we were met by the Mariott people.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a child car-seat in the van provided.  At check-in, we had a welcome drink and the one for Jo Ern was in a plastic mug.  She was given a balloon flower to play with too.  Small touches but very nice indeed.
Hello from our family!
The villa was big and luxuriously furnished. We didn’t do much on the first day, just walked to Turtle Village for dinner at the Coffee Club. The Turtle mart was ridiculously expensive, which was too bad as we would have bought lots of stuff otherwise. Haribo sweets cost B130 here – the next day we found it at just B76 at a local supermarket.
Yay koo-koo giving me Milo.  Can I have this instead of my normal milk?
Day 2
Rented a car for B1200 and off to Phuket proper! Mariott is pretty far from civilisation, about an hour away. It was too hot for walking around so we spent time at the Jungceylon shopping mall. Jo Ern was in her stroller and surprised us by pointing to the floor and saying “walk-walk!” Well it sounds more like ‘Wo-walk! Wo-walk!’… but it’s clear enough. Loved hearing her say that!

Strollers are for babies! I want to go and check out whatever I like

Had McDonalds for lunch. Later we saw a signboard for a food court at the basement. Ah well, pork burgers were on my to-do list (they weren’t too impressive actually).

Drove around a bit more and then spent time locating the weekend market. Now, this was worth the hunt. It’s no way as large as Bangkok’s Chatuchak market but there were plenty of stalls and what I liked best - street food! We sat down for porkball soup, and again for grilled squid, pork knuckles, steamed crab and beer. Then tapau-ed various items for dinner and were almost done when heavy rain pelted down. That was it, called it a day with our loot of mainly food and a few non-food items.

Next up, Jo Ern's first swimsuit!

3 comments:

  1. Oh..that is why you were MIA for some days!

    Amazing that Jo Ern didn't create any fuss in the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm partly this trip, partly coz I don't have ready Internet access now that I m unemployed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I'm impressed too that she was good on the plane. mine would be all over the place. very stressful! and we wouldn't be able to do street food either. altho i love it too.

    ReplyDelete