Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sept 2011 - Lost my job

I have been going through a dramatic couple of days which I might as well document here. 

Sunday evening:  My managing director emailed all staff that the company is ceasing operations with immediate effect and we needn't report for work on Monday.  Apparently the company had insufficient cash to continue.  We were told to request building management to enter the office to clear our personal belongings.

Monday:  All staff made their way to the office only to find it sealed.  Entry was strictly prohibited.  We learnt that the MD had already fled the country.

The managers had contacted a potential investor the night before and we all waited for them to fly over.  Eventually they arrived and talked about their offer and conditions.  Basically the deal hinges on whether our clients are willing to go with the new company.  The decision should be coming in today, Tuesday.

Meanwhile, headhunters and potential employers have been calling non-stop.  This is very exciting yet tiring.  As a group we have been contacting the labour department, police, lawyers. 

For now I'm jobless and still in shock over what has happened. I've been with this company for over 5 years and didn't see this coming.  My biggest regret is accumulating 18 days of annual leave.  I'd planned to use those later this year but now they're gone with the wind.  My biggest relief is, I happened to have brought home the laptop containing photos of Jo Ern!  YAY!  I had been transferring them directly from the camera and have NOT made any backups.  Would have been inconsolable if I'd lost photos of the first 1.5 years of my little one.  Phewww.  Life is.... not so bad lah.

Mummy seems fine...

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear! that's quite shocking! i went thru something similar, but ours happened over a period of a few months, so we were expecting it. well good thing you have ppl chasing you with new offers :) and hey, maybe can come over for a playdate before you start work again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about this, Stacy.
    The sudden news must have been really hard to comprehend..since everything happened so fast.
    When one door closes, another door opens.
    So, will consider being SAHM???

    ReplyDelete
  3. MC, oo a playdate sounds interesting! Let me get over this busy period first. Friends call to sympathise, ex-colleagues call to update each other, headhunters call, potential employers starting to call. I have never been so popular hehe.

    Leona, I think I will go nuts being SAHM! And I would be more comfortable with finances if I work a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, sorry to bad news Stacy. But at least, you got the laptop of pictures! :) And offers from potential employers! Hope you find another job you enjoy soon.. meanwhile, enjoy the time at home with your girl.

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very dramatic...like tv drama hoh?

    But could very well be a blessing in disguise. Can potentially get better job with better pay!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear this. Since this co was in financial dilemma, I dont think if u file them in court, u will get compensated. U r lucky already cos u got hold of 1 asset..hehehe normally people will just bang open the office n take whatever is in the office.

    Use this time as a break...and start looking for another lo... (provided you want another job) or biz ..Take care ya
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi all, thanks for the good wishes.

    Rachel, yeah no point suing a bankrupt company. The only assets (besides computers) the company has are a coffee machine and microwave. If they let me in, maybe I try to curi the multi-socket extension hehe.

    ReplyDelete