Friday, August 31, 2012

Bye-bye kakak


Kakak go home ok? Jo Ern be good girl ok.

I teared up and had to walk away. Lina came when Jo Ern was 4 months old. Initially we didn't need her much. Household chores were manageable (albeit with a low standard of cleanliness!), I was breastfeeding Jo Ern, hubby cleaned her, cooking was something I chose to do myself. Lina would come and take JE off my hands once her chores were done. I didn't like that initially since I'd planned to take care of JE by myself, but eventually loved having more 'me' time!

Now that Lina has been part of our lives the last 2 years, I feel sad that she is going. I'm used to coming downstairs in the morning to her going about her chores. Being single, JE is the first child she has looked after and she mirrored my new-mother self. She'd report to me on JE's day at my parents' house while I was away working. I'd tell her what JE did when she wasn't around. We'd delight in JE's antics, be proud when she developed new skills, cluck when naughty traits showed.

To JE, Lina was someone who did everything for her - fed her, patted her to sleep, cleaned her up, carried her around, played with her. Although JE is close to me, sometimes she'd say 'I want kakak!' instead.  

Earlier in the day...
Lina: Kakak go home ok?
JE: NO!
Lina: Kakak have to go
JE: Bye bye ka-kaaak (in a sweet voice)
Then...
JE: Kakak go home ay-yi (already), Jo Ern CALL kakak. Then kakak come.

Oh well. I guess that at her age, she'll forget her kakak rather quickly.

I think Lina's going back to Cambodia to get married though she wouldn't admit it. I'm glad she was around at recent critical events to oversee things - when Su Ern was born, when I went back to work, when JE had her bad fall. I'm going to miss her, both for her work and her company.

We let her choose what she wanted to eat for dinner on her last day, and she picked BBQ plaza.

Ahmm a lot be-cause I like this place

(NB: It is now 5.45am. Hubby has just taken Lina to the airport. I'm posting this now as I'm afraid I won't have time tomorrow... taking care of 2 kids without a maid!)

5 comments:

  1. wow, its wonderful that you have such a good relationship with your maid. getting another one soon hopefully?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you plan to get a new one????

    Yup, the kids will easily forget about the maid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MC, yeah this one worked out really well.

    Rachel, I definitely need a maid for now! Even then sometimes not enough hands haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! You survived a week maid-less! Lina sounds like a very good maid. You've been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juana, 'survived' but definitely not 'enjoyed'!

    ReplyDelete