Friday, March 9, 2018

RDJ - Part 1

Looks like this is the first blog post about me and not the kids... might as well put the photos I took to some use!

As it happened, I did rather enjoy my trip.  It helped very much that my team mates (from the client) included me in things - in my line of work, this is an exception rather than the norm.

Lunch in a food-cum-bookshop

Food
Was generally too salty.  And there was cheese everywhere! Inside pastries, on top of meat, under other things, by itself.... One interesting concept common there was food charged by weight.  Dishes is laid out buffet-style - salads, meats, carbs, desserts, soups.  You grab a plate and take what you like, then go to the cashier where your plate will be weighed.  Of course I was calculating away...  meat, seafood or cheese would be better value than say, rice?  Some places have a different rate for dessert and sushi, some have everything at the same.

Breakfast at hotel, Asian food-by-weight, 
Arab food, pizza/chicken chop with tons of cheese

Weather
Hot and humid.  Only slightly less than Malaysia.

Language
Hardly anyone spoke English.  It was Portuguese all the way.

On weekdays it was mostly work. Evenings we would wander nearby for dinner and minor shopping.  I had one Saturday to sight-see. The others flew to Rio earlier and already had a weekend there.  Rather than walk around by myself, I elected to stick with them part of the time.  First stop, the Selaron steps. I didn't have high expectations, thinking it was just a short photo opportunity.  But it turned out way better!  First there were many, many steps all covered with colourful tiles.  The sides were tiled as well.

Me at the Escadaria Selaron

Selection of tiles, and a mailbox

Next, we climbed the stairs and it led us to a wonderful route through 'real' neighbourhoods where people live.  A little rough, but beautiful.  I loved this and snapped away.

This place is hilly

Pink guava, anyone?

Tiles seem to be common


A little rough, huh? 


To be continued...

5 comments:

  1. So nice of your team mates to group you in with them. Could be lonely in a strange place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been lonely many times right here in KL haha. Sometimes I'm sent alone to a client's place, sometimes not alone but with people I cannot click with. E.g. others are all from another country and speak their own language, or they're all guys, or... well there are various combinations!

      Delete
  2. Are there any locals with you all? If not, all of you are pretty daring to walk around by yourselves. I am under the impression that it is not very safe for foreigners to walk alone around the city by themselves though most likely I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The locals were kind enough to take us places for lunch. That's it lah haha. I was glad to have Malaysians to walk around with. Often there were people on the streets who looked a little 'unsafe'. I didn't walk by myself at all.

      Delete
  3. So nice of them to bring you out.. although personally, I think I'd rather sightsee a new city myself than hang out with people or work acquaintances I hardly know haha.

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete