Saturday, February 23, 2019

Planters Haven revisit

The last time we went to Planters Haven was over 5 years ago.  That time we concluded that we couldn't possibly live so far away since we would have to travel to work daily.  Hubby's friend who did buy some land invited us this time as his durian trees were fruiting.  

I thought it would be great for the kids to see the trees.  And maybe help pick some fruit from the ground.  In reality.... 

The moment we got out of the car:  Do we HAVE to go there?  Can we stay in the car?
As I was dragging them to the trees:  OWWW!! This grass is so poky!  This is the WORST durian place!  We want to go home!!

Gahh city kids.

Ow ow ow!

Turned out picking durians wasn't a walk in the park.  The trees WERE located pretty far back and it wasn't easy walking on uneven ground through the dry grass, fallen branches and whatnot.

Gave up and left the durian-hunting.  We just spread out our picnic mat.  I brought snacks for SE since she hates durian.

Ahhh a nice place to si... eh what's that? Ant??

And because of the presence of an ant or two, the kiddo decided to boycott the picnic mat.  Luckily hubby was well-prepared.

Ahh now this is the life


All right, this picnic isn't so bad

Many plots were still vacant.  We found some fruit trees nearby.  Ciku and longan fruits were not ready, but rambutan was.  Made JE get off her chair and participate in fruit plucking.  To the same tune of:  OW!  Something scratched my foot! Look got blood.  Are there ants here? Can I go now?  I don't want to pluck rambutans anymore)

I have rambutans. Now can I go?


If we weren't with the others, I'd have liked to scout around to find more treasures.  Maybe another rambutan tree or other kinds of edibles. As it was, we called it a day.  A good trip by my standards and a day out for the kids.

Yayy! Finally can go home!

6 comments:

  1. When I was young, I would love to scout around, plucking fruits and even climbing fruit trees. Durians! I love durians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My maid climbed the rambutan tree. At my age where things are starting to get creaky, I left that to her hehe. The quality of the durians was a mix. But overall ok lah - and no complaints since they were FOC.

      Delete
  2. Durian trees take a long time to fruit so they must have planted the trees for many years already. Nowadays the weather is so hot that even going outside is a chore. No need to consider to go durian hunting in a fruit orchard. Good that SE and JE still went and had some activities with fruit gathering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't have a choice hehe. If they had, they'd have sat in the aircond car having their snacks.

      Delete
  3. Can't blame the city girls :D..My girls would refuse to stay long at the kebun too though got loads of fruits for them to collect. It's an educational trip too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh.. I miss durian hunting. Used to do it at my grandfather's durian orchard behind his house. Though I do not eat durian, but I do love making gravy out of them to eat with breads.

    Your cute 'city' girls is so funny :)

    ReplyDelete