Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Food at malls

Right after our Yunnan trip, I started a new 1-year assignment which entailed going to the client office daily.  After over 3 years of hybrid WFH/office, I could hardly believe having to fight traffic jams daily!  Driving takes up a total of 2.5 hours.  And of course I can't be surfing the net while sitting with other humans!  The work is not my cup of tea either, which is making me seriously think of retirement.  Luckily I managed to get a day of WFH a week for now. 

On to a more enjoyable topic, FOOD.  All these are at malls which win for easy parking, food variety and availability of other shops.  

Father's day lunch (yes this was over a month ago, but refer to my comment that I can't be surfing the net now in the office hehe).  A note that my sis completely misunderstood where to meet and missed this. 

Nong Geng Ji (Chinese): Overall not bad, worth repeat visits

Red Kettle: Dutch baby for me, pork buns/mantao for SE

Chica Bonita(Mexican): Corn looked better than it tasted

Aftermeal: Shaved ice dessert, hojicha flavour


10 comments:

  1. Oh no 😯 your sister must be so disappointed to have missed father's day lunch with you all. She went somewhere else which was too far away for her to uturn to join u all again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! She admitted the venue was clear when checking back on our whatsapp messages. Then she went to the wrong mall.

      Delete
  2. You are doing project management / project consultancy? Many of my working peers are starting to retire now after 55.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing IT consultancy... mostly hands-on work and not often in project management as I don't like it.

      Delete
    2. Ah, you are like NuxV in the IT industry. You are expert in SAP consultancy?

      Delete
    3. Oh is that what she's doing? Haha. On paper sure, always an 'expert'.

      Delete
  3. I used to work at client's office above a mall too. And I hate going there coz of the traffic. Then I quit being as 'vendor' coz I couldn't tolerate the client's demands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always had a long-term plan of quitting the 'vendor' side but until now haven't moved.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stacy, how nice that you had a Father's Day lunch with family at the mall for a Chinese meal! Your photos are lovely! I have never driven a car, but here in Montreal even taking the bus entails being stuck in traffic, and Montreal is quite a big city, so I totally understand traffic jams!
    I am retired now, (will be 70 in October), and I worked all my life from the age of 16, straight out of high school. I was very fortunate to enjoy the work I did. I did many different types of work from receptionist to store cashier/clerk, store manager, (in a pet supply store), maintenance which required cleaning empty apartments for a property management firm in preparation for the moving in of new tenants, and my favourite job was in retail.
    However, I don't recommend it for everyone! It is hard work, you are on your feet most of the day and the hours are long.
    But I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed working as a receptionist as well. The cleaning I enjoyed because fortunately I love to clean and organize, so I didn't mind it. But it can be physically exhausting!
    Early retirement, if one is able to manage this, can be a very good thing. I wish you all the best, dear Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thanks for sharing your story - sounds like a productive and varied life! For me I'd decided I prefer a desk job to moving around like you did!

      I'm still thinking, thinking about retirement...

      Delete