Saturday, October 10, 2020

Mooncake festival

A little belated as I have been busy.  This year's lantern festival coincided with our weekly family dinner so we had been planning for the kids to bring lanterns for an after-dinner walk around the neighbourhood.  The moon was already round and bright since a couple of nights before.  Come the actual day though, it rained cats and dogs, morning and night!  What to do...

First my mother's yummy popiah for dinner.

Popiah, yayy!

Fired up the lanterns anyway.  Walking around the porch is better than nothing!  

Happy mooncake festival!

That weekend we hosted the celebration at our house for hubby's side of the family.  For lunch we had...
Steamboat!

Braised food and a big bowl of lala...

Which was cooked with Chinese wine, ginger, garlic

As was usual it was also non-stop for snacks and alcohol.  And this being hubby's family, they stayed on till dinner (and beyond).

Dinner: Fried chicken, salmon curry, veg, tofu, prawns with rice


 A festival full of food indeed!

9 comments:

  1. Wah, what a nice celebration! So much food! Where did you buy so much lala? Wet market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep near my house there is a small open-air 'wet' market.

      Delete
  2. Yes, definitely walk around the porch with lanterns is better than nothing. You have a big lovely house with a super big garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 'home' pictures are sometimes in my parents' house, sometimes in mine. Combined together might seem super-big hahaha. But yes, we have some land beside and behind the house. Not as big as our old house in Ipoh.

      Delete
  3. I still remember walking with my lantern around the neighborhood when I was 5 years old. I remember my lantern too which is a big gold fish and my sister's lantern is a cloth butterfly which is very pretty. I am thankful my parents gave us these happy memories. Good that you all gave the children these happy memories too in this pandemic time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if the kids will remember everything!

      Delete
    2. They will remember their childhood happy memories.

      Delete
  4. Celebration with lots of food. For us, it is just like any normal day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really a festival we make a big deal of, just happened to plan something this year. It's nice to have lanterns for the kids while they are young enough to enjoy them.

      Delete