Monday, March 8, 2021

School reopens

Finally, back to real school.  Hopefully no more unexpected closures after this.  The past year has been so problematic in terms of learning.  Some teachers were hardworking in setting up online classes, others were barely seen the whole time.  

JE generally followed all her classes and kept up with homework.  Good thing her class teacher is a good one.  She missed a few and I actually got a call asking, why hasn't JE been attending class recently?  Why didn't she hand in her homework?  Aren't you monitoring her?  Who is monitoring?  Haha got scolded by her teacher!  Err so I said my parents are the ones monitoring.  And hope she won't have to call my my parents to 'scold' them too!  

SE... oh it hasn't gone well.  She was already struggling in school.  Somehow she shuts off whenever people try to teach her Chinese or BM.  End up she couldn't understand basic instructions, was clueless on things happening around her, constantly got punished, was angry and frustrated with everything.  We were hoping MCO would give her a respite, a chance to catch up.  My parents tried with Chinese and I tried with BM.  However it was very difficult to get her to sit and learn, then when quizzed back later, she retained very little of what was taught.  

Anyway so school reopens. Both JE and SE are now in the morning session. One grumpy girl and one excited girl on their first day.

We are waiting for transporter aunty


7 comments:

  1. good to be back to the real school and meet friends...I thought JE would be excited (instead of grumpy) coz she is doing well in studies. SE reminds me of my younger days when trying to learn Chinese...I still couldn't read much Chinese coz i always skipped the weekly Chinese class back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JE isn't really doing 'well'. Around average lah. I was among the top in my time so I'd have been happier if my kids followed in my footsteps. But I can't function in Mandarin to save my life... opened her book once and asked her to study hard ok? Haha.

      Delete
  2. Why JE is the grumpy girl and SE is excited girl? I thought it would be the other way round as SE isn't that interested in studying BM like JE. Since SE only likes English, u can send her to international school where they study almost everything in english.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh ya surprisingly SE was outside all decked out in her shoes and schoolbag while JE was still combing her hair.

      I might have to resort to English medium for SE. Give her one more year.

      Delete
    2. Good decision because after this year still don't know much BM and chinese, then better go to an english medium private school.

      Delete
  3. Most parents are also having a tough time making sure that their kids catch up with the online classes and homework. Some kids will turn around at a certain age and surprisingly, they are able to catch up with the rest and sometimes, they even did better than others. It can be difficult when they have no interested in the language. Have to find a way to make the languages interesting to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SE had it especially tough. Almost wrecked the ipad with her angry bashing on the keyboard trying to attract her teacher's attention.

      Remembering that she couldn't read yet in English just half a year before Std1, and improved dramatically until she could, I'd been hoping it would be the same pattern for Chinese and BM. But she's already in Std3 now... I will give it one last year. If not then no point continuing in Chinese school.

      Delete