Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Streak of happenings

The Monday 27 June started well.  For dinner we celebrated a belated Father's Day with food ordered in:
  1. Crispy duck to be rolled in popiah skin with cucumber strips, spring onion, hoisin and chilli sauce
  2. Braised pork trotters to be sandwiched between lotus leaf pao with fresh lettuce 
  3. Chicken and beef satay with cucumber and onion
Food turned out good and was a nice change from our usual.

Duck, pork, chicken, beef... and friends

SE hadn't been well and she wasn't looking well that night though, so decided to take her to the clinic shortly after dinner.  That's when it started.

I drove a few meters and my car stalled.  Kept trying, the engine would start and immediately stop.  Luckily we were still outside my parents' house and everyone was still there.  We managed to push my car to the side after a few tries and my brother drove us to the new clinic below our apartment.

Poor SE was already sick.  With all this plus the wait at the clinic, it was an hour before we got to see the doctor.  Finally we got the meds and walked back home.

Kiddo getting sick - pic from the weekend before

Reached our apartment and.... the dining area lights went out.  Both the most frequently-used lights must blow at the same time?  Sigh.

Fed SE the meds from the clinic.  JE didn't look too good either so checked her and... FEVER.  Sigh.

In the middle of that night, both me and our maid also started feeling unwell.  Sigh.

The next day, both kids weren't well enough for school.  Kept them at home.  I made arrangements to have my car towed to the workshop.  Took medical leave (but had to attend a long meeting in the afternoon).  Sick day for all four of us.

That night, my mother tested positive for Covid.

The following day, my father tested positive for Covid.

So many things happening at the same time!  My parents were relatively fine but it would be 10 days before my father finally got a negative on the Covid test.  It was pretty certain they caught the virus from a dinner they attended the weekend before.  SE tested negative all this time.

4 comments:

  1. oh gosh....nowadays i could only hope for all things end well and so that i could lead a peaceful life. My sis & BIL were also tested positive few days back & they are still recovering now. I have been working from home for this entire week. I dreaded long meetings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I also like a peaceful life.

      I was too sick to focus on much of that meeting! But couldn't leave.

      Delete
  2. Ah, good to know that your parents are all ok now. The vaccines sure work well as you say they were relatively fine when they were having it, so it is light symptoms. Please take good care of yourself, SE, JE and your helper too. Now when sick also don't know is cvd or not as some home test kits sometimes show yes sometimes show no. And not much point taking PCR test unless symptoms are very bad and need help to breathe. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mun. Yeah we have come a long way since the early days of covid.

      Delete