Thursday, February 20, 2020

Making Tong yuen

(Kept this post for a while... This happened a while ago around the Mid-autumn festival)

As usual, the kids think of this as one giant Playdoh activity....

Nice and round!

We are all busy

Fruit of our labour

The aftermath

Disaster this year though.  The balls wouldn't float when cooked.  Until my mother realised she'd used rice flour instead of the glutinous version.  We didn't eat any balls this year.  So as tradition goes, we DON'T get a year older right?  Hehe.  At least the kiddos still had their fun.

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful family gathering to make tong yuen. I used to enjoy making them when I was young, so do my boys when they were young. So you didn't get one year older. Once, I almost use rice flour to make steamed buns but noticed but noticed it in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All flours look pretty much the same haha. I didn't make rice balls when I was young... we didn't like eating them anyway. Good thing my mum started this tradition with the grandkids.

      Delete
  2. Yes, at least the children have fun but rice balls will also be cooked if they are cooked longer and still can be eaten like rice noodles or rice kuih, right? so all the rice balls ended up in the bin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the balls were cooked so long (while waiting for them to float) they lost their shape. I didn't go and look into this sorry situation haha.

      Delete